As their name would suggest, Dental Bridges quite literally are used in bridging the gap that is created by one or more missing teeth. A dental bridge or a tooth bridge ideally constitutes multiple crowns covering the sides of the gap left between the missing teeth. Since, these crowns are placed to anchor the false tooth that will be placed to bridge the gap, they are known as abutment teeth. The false teeth, that is eventually placed between the gap is called pontics. This entire procedure involves creating an artificial tooth bridge in the gap that is left, hence giving the name Dental Bridges.
Types of Dental Bridges?
Dental bridges can be of different kinds, including the traditional bridges, cantilever bridge dental and Maryland bonded bridges.
What happens in a Dental Bridge procedure?
The procedure is initiated with the creation of the abutment teeth that could act as an anchor to the pontic or the false tooth. The initial prepping might include the removal of a portion of the enamel, so that dental crown can be created to place over them. Once the crown is prepared, they will then be positioned between the missing tooth, to complete the bridge, making your jawline appear normal. The most common application has been the implementation of dental bridge in front teeth, as they are very critical in ensuring a healthy smile.
Why would I need Dental Bridges?
- Without dental bridges, the gap between your teeth can cause your remaining teeth to go out of position
- They help you regain your smile
- They help in restoring your natural functionality of your teeth
- They appear as your natural teeth
Our dentist may recommend a dental bridge to improve your smile by:
- Restoring your ability to speak, eat, and chew as normal
- Alleviating excess stress on the bite
- Improving the shape and volume of your face
- Replacing an unwanted removable partial denture
- Preventing the remaining natural teeth from moving out of position
- Enhancing the appearance of your smile
We will help you determine whether a custom dental bridge is a right choice for restoring your smile after tooth loss. For more information, please call or visit us today.